1. Start doing HIIT intervals for cardio: I’ve started doing this and my abs are already showing! Warm up for 5-10 mins, then do 15-30 seconds intense as you can, 30 seconds-1 min recovery. Do 20 mins of this, slowly increase to 30 mins, only 3x a week.
2. Resistance train 3-6 times a week: this may seem like a lot BUT ITS NOT! A good rule of thumb to remember, if you just want to maintain your body work out 2-3x a week, if you really want to change it work out 3-6x a week. All those incredibly fit, toned, amazing physiques you see in the magazines are following this principle to get into wicked shape.
And of course they have hired help like a personal trainer.
3. Get away from lots of cardio: hours on end cardio is a great way to burn out your adrenals and thyroid and slow your metabolism to a fat storing hault. Cardio doesn’t make your body, tight, lean, and supple, it will actually make you fatter and slowly plateau, I see this all the time! Keep session to 45 mins-1 hour at the most 2-3x a week, and on the other days focus more on the above two points.
4. Positive self talk during workouts: when I’m training and I feel fat, lazy or tired I’ll catch myself whining and making up excuses in my head as to why I should walk out of the gym, but instead of giving in I get really pissed off at myself and I tell myself two things I heard from a Business coach Frank Kern:
1. Don’t be a pussy
2. Don’t fuck around.
I know it can be harsh, but so is giving up yourself and believing all the stupid self defeating stories we all constantly play in the background of our minds. Once I decide to stop being a pussy and fucking around, I then tell myself stuff like “I am beautiful, powerful, successful and empowered” or “ I am who I choose to be and I choose to be the best me I can be” or something else that triggers my firey passion for my transformation and infuses each and every rep of mine with my focused passion for my results.
I end up pushing myself harder, longer and don’t give up and hold myself to the highest standard. I walk out of the gym totally connected to my new self, empowered from pushing through my mental barriers and knowing my body is already transforming. This is by far how I change my body so fast!
5. Ditch the sugar: I’m talking about all those sneaky little treats you “reward” yourself with when you have done whatever job well done. I see this a lot with women, even myself, where I’ll be good for a few days then I’ll get a craving after a meal and think “I’ve been good, one little dessert wont hurt” but it does! It is hard on your digestion, liver, pancreas, and blood sugar levels and triggers the same reward centre in the brain as cocaine and heroine, enough to the point where it will start you down the sugar craving train once again.
Good rule of thumb, get off and stay off! Replace sweet desserts and treats with fruit especially melons, berries, pears, and apples and make some of my yummy sugar free desserts.
6. Go to bed with an almost empty stomach: This carves out my abs and takes cellulite off my butt so well!! Have an early dinner, a few hours later have a snack of 3oz lean meat with a sliced up cucumber(yes a whole cucumber): the protein will feed your muscles as you sleep and the cucumber will trigger your feel full hormone leptin and alkaline your body. An alkaline body is one that glows with health and vibrancy, stays lean and gives you fast results from your workouts.
7. Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks: My mantra for stabilizing my blood sugar! Make sure you eat something every 2-4 hours, anytime longer you will be triggering your metabolism to slow, so eat even if you’re not hungry. A great plan is my 7 Day Flat Abs Program, its free, just click here.
8. Cleanse your liver with green juices and lemon juice: The liver is responsible for creating certain enzymes for proper thyroid and adrenal function as well as so many things when it come to the metabolism. If the liver is under stress coupled with daily stress and poor eating habits, you can do all you want but you wont see your waistline budge. Cleanse it out by drinking 2 juiced lemons in the morning with a few cups water, this will flush you out and alkaline your tissues!
Plus your skin starts to look great and you feel noticeably lighter and have more energy! For green juices go for things that aren’t cruciferous veggies like spinach, chard, dandelion greens, bitter melon, cucumber, celery, and cilantro.
9. Eat your cruciferous veggies like kale, broccoli and cauliflower lightly steamed and served with protein as your meals after 3pm. Avoid eating these veggies raw as new research shows they suppress the thyroid.
10. Get some minerals: minerals keep the skin tight and supple, are essential for proper energetic synapses in all your muscles and nerves and feed the growth of your muscles and proper functioning of your adrenals. The adrenals and thyroid are the energetic workhorses of the body, so if they don’t have what they need to make energy, your workouts will suck and you’ll probably be craving lots of sugar! Pick up a plant based minerals(not synthetic or rock based) and take 3 caps 3x a day. I like New chapter plant based minerals. You can get it at lifestyles and thriftys.
11. Clean out your digestion: Enzymes and probiotics!!! Most of us especially women are chronically backed up and carry around anywhere from 4-8lbs of waste materials. This is something that isn’t talked about by any personal trainer and its so common amongst women, including myself! I used to need to go and buy herbal laxative teas because mine was so bad, and I know so many women still do this but don’t talk about it.
This is a serious problem and needs to be addressed beyond just “more fiber” with fungal or systemic enzymes especially one called Colon Cleanzyme by Natural factors as well as probiotics, are so important and have helped me so much! A healthy gut and GI tract should be eliminating 2-3x a day, and due to our poor diet full of sugar and processed foods, combined with a sedentary lifestyle, most people are lucky if they get one a day.
If this sounds like you, pick up some enzymes, start healing your gut with probiotics and fermented foods, get off all wheat, dairy and sugar and eat whole foods. This is a huge topic but I’ll leave it at that.
12. Start now: If you want to look good for summer it cant be a crash diet over night! Start now, plan, prepare, be consistent, persistent and stay focused and you will get there☺
Message me if you have any other questions or unique concerns and need expert advice:[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Are you interested in a free fitness consult?’ type=’checkbox’/][contact-field label=’Question or concern’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]